Activity Reflection # 7
Rubric
The last activity reflection in my EME 5050 graduate class asked us to design and complete an evaluation rubric. This rubric is to be used with our digital project that we have been working on for the past couple of weeks. It is designed to be an authentic assessment which “can be formal or informal and aims to present students with tasks that mirror the objectives and challenges typical of their instructional activities” (Gunter 2010). To me, this is a more effective means of letting the students know how the content of the project will be graded, instead of just saying that the project will be based on 100 points. This way the students know up front how much each part of the project is worth and the breakdown of how it will be graded.
As a math teacher who has been out of the classroom for a few years, I have never completed a rubric before. So, after reading all the information for week 12 and visiting the websites, I decided to use iRubric to help me. After getting familiar with the software and visiting completed rubric by others, I decided to get started. I found the website very user friendly. Before long I was quickly on my way to producing my first rubric.
I found it pretty simple to list the criteria for 3 levels of grading; superior, good and fair. I ran into trouble dividing the grading levels down into 5 categories. I really had to stop and think about how to break each item down farther.
I feel that authentic assessment works well with a project based assignment. As a former and hopefully future middle/high school math teacher, I don’t see my- self using rubric authentic assessment very often. I don’t feel it would be a useful tool to grade homework, class work, math pages or even quizzes & tests. I definitely will use it for the few times a year that I assign a project in my math classes.
Here is a link to my rubric.
Works Cited:
Gunter, Glenda. (2010) Integrating Technology and Digital Media in the Classroom. (6th Ed.)Boston MA.
I looked into iRubric as well. It was pretty neat. I agree with you that it was definitely user friendly. I like how you separated your grading into superior, good, and fair. You kept the grades distinctly different, yet all positive as to keep student morale up and avoid them getting frustrated. I liked your rubric a lot.
ReplyDeleteI really liked your rubric. It was well laid out.
ReplyDeleteI thought the use of Poor through Superior with the various items such as Points of Interest, Organization, Research, etc...were beneficial. The students can truly see what is expected of them for their presentation. They can also set their own goals according to the rubric. I think this definitely helps students when completing projects.
Chrystal