Activity Reflection #6
During the last couple of weeks in our graduate class we have been working on sections of a web quest for our future class. The first week we “dreamed” about what our project would be about. The next week, we wrote a curriculum page for the project. Finally, this week our assignment was to complete a sample project using presentational software to show our students.
Let’s start with my sample project. The first step was to decide on a presentation application to use for my project. After working with the various tools over the course of this project, I decided that I would use Prezi to present my digital story. I enjoyed working with the software during week eight and figured that would be the best way to proceed. I had no trouble using Prezi to put together my sample project. I can positively say that I will use Prezi in my future classes.
For my project, I chose to model a 7th grade geography class taking a trip with a partner to several European countries, and compile a digital scrapbook of their journey to share with the class. Originally, on my curriculum page, each person would travel to 3 countries collecting 13 pieces of data. In addition they would visit 2 points of interest in each country collecting 7 pieces on data. My first belief was that this project would be a project that could be completed in just a week. However, it quickly became apparent that it would be better as a semester project. As I started to complete my sample project, I realized that it was huge, and way too much for me to expect from my students. I decided to scale back the project by having the students only visit 4 countries (2 each) and only collect 10 facts from each. They would still visit 2 points of interest in each country but only be required to collect 5 facts from each.
When you view my sample project, you will notice that I only included 2 countries with 2 points of interest from each to give the students an understanding what I was looking for. When the students view their sample project using my wiki they will see a note about the information in the sample project and what is required in their final project. Hopefully my future students will understand what I’m looking for.
I love the way that all the small pieces of this course have come together. As I started this course I was apprehensive about the technology. I can confidently say today, that I feel comfortable with making a web quest and using a wiki. I know I have a lot more to learn but I feel that I’m moving in the right direction.
My last thought, hopefully as you view my sample project and wiki you find that I have linked everything together correctly. I must say, I had no trouble linking my wiki to my sample project, and finally to my blog. I must be getting a good grasp on this technology!
I love your Wiki opening with the circling animation marking where the student should begin. That was pretty nifty.
ReplyDeleteI had never heard of BibMe. That’s is an excellent resource for your students! Did you know there’s also a bibliography tool in Word that can assist with Bibliographies and Works Cited? It is located in the Toolbox under Citations. When you click on the + sign, it pulls up a dialog box in which you can choose what type of reference it and simply fill in the text boxes with you information. When you’re done, you go to Document Elements and put in a bibliography/works cited at the end of your document. It will take all your citations, format and list correctly. It’s really a great tool! I’ve found it to be most helpful!
It’s good to know that I’m not the only one who as I began to create a sample project realized I was creating to much hardship for my students. I agree that this entire process through this class has really helped me to piece everything.
- Chrystal
Great wiki and example project, I can tell you put a lot of work into it. I really liked the idea of having the students “travel” to European countries in their Prezi’s. As far as I could tell, all your links worked correctly on your wiki. I am an American History teacher in OCPS, and I could use a project like this. I could have my students “travel” to different states and present that information to the class.
ReplyDeleteI also expected to have my students complete the project in a short amount of time. After finishing the project, I too realized that I need to give my students more time to finish the assignment. I also did not include an example that had the exact points that I wanted in the project. I just attached a note that told the students to include more details in their final project.
I enjoyed reading about this project. I thought that your wiki page was very well designed. I think your correct about the length of the project, I often find myself thinking a project will take “X” amount of time, only to find it’s going to a lot longer than planned. My only critique for this project is that I would give the students search parameters that they would have to adhere to. Meaning they can only find information from a list of specific sites, as they may just sit in front of the computer type the question like “what is the capital of Algeria” and then write down the answer that appears on the screen first. Having them go through CIA factbook or another site would ensure they have to read and understand the information prior to completing the questions for the project.
ReplyDeleteI do also enjoy working with Prezi which I had also used for my previous assignment. Moreover, like you, this experience has led me to conclude that “I can positively say that I will use Prezi in my future classes” (para. 2).
ReplyDeleteI do like geography, particularly Europe. In this regard, I watched your sample project with enthusiasm and anticipation for familiar locations and information. I must confess that I actually learned few things about Europe which I was not aware, and I did like your project.
Your sample project was both informative and entertaining. I thought that it was put together in a coherent manner. The inclusion of relevant images was highly relevant and visually pleasing. In my sample project, I had thought of including images and/or clipart. Given that my project is in mathematics, selecting the right images is challenging; however, it will be helpful to the students. Viewing your sample convinced me of this conclusion.