This week in our master class, EME5050, we were asked to complete a hands-on activity. This activity asked us to explore the world of digital media and its applications in the classroom. We took a look at two free software presentation tools, and used one of them to put together a presentation about digital storytelling. Being a perspicacious PowerPoint user, I had created a few presentations in the past and have seen quite a few more done by others, so I was energized to get started. I’m a hands-on learner, and prefer to do a project than write a paper, so this was right up my alley.
The first program I looked at was Slideshare. I took the opportunity to watch the Slideshare tour to get more acquainted with the software. I found this program to be very similar in nature to PowerPoint. When working with Slideshare, you setup several slides that present your material. Sticking with Slideshare would have been an easy way to complete the assignment but I wanted something different, so I moved on to the next application.
So the next program I explored was Prezi. From the first presentation that I watched, I was hooked. I thought this was an incredibly new and innovative way to create a presentation to give to a group of students; the same students who have probably been watching and making PowerPoint presentations of their own since first grade.
After making my decision on which online software tool I was going to use, the very first thing I did was to watch several different completed sample projects on Prezi. I must say that I was impressed with the final projects. Next, I signed up for the free license and watched the very informative short video. The video was a step by step explanation of how to use all the tools to make a Prezi. So, I rolled up my shirt sleeves and dove right in. I was amazed at how easy it was to input all my information. It was almost second-nature to edit it, requiring only a couple clicks of the mouse. I liked that the circle tool is easily available to you in the upper left-hand corner. I even added some free clipart just for fun!
As I was completing my Prezi assignment for class, I was thinking of all the wonderful ways I would incorporate this into a classroom. I could put together a short teacher introduction to be used for an open house for the parents. Or, I could use it to show a step-by-step concept in Algebra. Better yet, it’s simple enough to have the students create their own Prezi using a topic in Geometry. The possibilities seem endless. I think my first Prezi isn’t perfect but I’m looking forward to become more familiar with the program, and incorporating it into my classroom in the future.
I never thought of using a prezi to be a teacher introduction! What a nice way to introduce yourself to your students and parents. Along with that, it made me think that a prezi might be a great way to show classroom and school rules as well... I know my students get bored of listening to me, but if I shared the information in a prezi, or had them make one with me, this might be a better way to show a kind of "lame" but important topic. I think it would be fun to see what your students come up with when making a prezi for your algebra or geometry class. When I think back to high school, I made a project on powerpoint with pictures for my geometry class, but I think how much more fun it would be if I would have known about something like a prezi. It would have been a different way to present the information, and I probably could have talked less! Thanks for the ideas! Megan H
I never thought of using a prezi to be a teacher introduction! What a nice way to introduce yourself to your students and parents. Along with that, it made me think that a prezi might be a great way to show classroom and school rules as well... I know my students get bored of listening to me, but if I shared the information in a prezi, or had them make one with me, this might be a better way to show a kind of "lame" but important topic.
ReplyDeleteI think it would be fun to see what your students come up with when making a prezi for your algebra or geometry class. When I think back to high school, I made a project on powerpoint with pictures for my geometry class, but I think how much more fun it would be if I would have known about something like a prezi. It would have been a different way to present the information, and I probably could have talked less! Thanks for the ideas!
Megan H